Article: What Are The Benefits Of A Short Scale Acoustic Guitar?
What Are The Benefits Of A Short Scale Acoustic Guitar?
My friends at Dowina Guitar are now offering a short scale option on their custom builds. I have to admit I have been badgering them for SO long for two things..... Short scale and 12 fret neck joins - and OMG they have gone and developed both for me (well... and the rest of the World of course).
So why have I been pestering them for short scale acoustic guitars? Well - its not a case of being "better" - but they really do provide an amazing solution for so many areas people get frustrated with.
I have my own personal reasons for the short scale series that I am developing with Dowina Guitars - but here is a more complete overview of the benefits of short scale acoustic guitars and if you see yourself appreciating any of these attributes then maybe short scale will suit you too :)
The term "short scale" refers to guitars with a shorter neck length compared to standard guitars. Here are some benefits of short scale acoustic guitars:
Ease of Playability:
- Shorter neck length makes it easier for players with smaller hands or those transitioning from smaller instruments.
- Reduced string tension can make fretting and bending strings more comfortable.
Ideal for Beginners:
- Beginner-friendly due to the reduced finger stretch required to play chords.
- Easier for new players to build finger strength and dexterity.
Comfortable for Travel:
- Compact size and reduced overall length make short scale guitars more portable and suitable for travel.
- Generally lighter than standard guitars, making them more comfortable to hold and play for extended periods.
Unique Tone Characteristics:
- Shorter scale length can contribute to a different tonal quality, often described as warmer and more focused.
Versatility in Playing Styles:
- Suitable for various playing styles, including fingerstyle and strumming, due to the comfortable fretting and reduced string tension.
Great for Certain Genres:
- Well-suited for genres like blues and folk where a warmer, more intimate sound is desirable.
Accessible for Children:
- Short scale guitars are often recommended for young players as they are easier to manage in terms of size and weight.
Reduced String Tension:
- Shorter scale length can result in lower string tension, which can be less fatiguing for players and may reduce the risk of hand strain.
- Some players appreciate the compact and distinctive look of short scale guitars, adding a unique visual element to their collection.
Increased Bending Range:
- The shorter scale length allows for easier string bending, facilitating expressive playing techniques.
- Some players prefer the customization options available with short scale guitars, as they can experiment with different string gauges and still maintain playability.