For details on what CITES is please click on this link https://cites.org/
As of January 2017 rosewood has been added to the list of protected endangered species that require official sanction to be imported/exported from country to country.
Any item containing any element of rosewood is effected.
Whilst I completely agree with the principals behind this decision, the way in which it has been introduced has been at best a total farce. Industry has been given literally no advanced warning and the systems were simply not in place to handle the new "red tape".
As time has gone on from January it is becoming clearer that Godin has been particularly effected (which is particularly tragic considering their incredibly "green" ethics in terms of the woods they use and sourcing locally!) for the following reasons...
* Godin "direct" distribution has allowed Godin to ship direct to the customer (me) from Canada in order to reduce middle man costs. CITES states each delivery has to be registered (at a cost per delivery) which would make this form of delivery unsustainable for the future.
* Due to Godin direct, there is no "surplus" UK stock in storage to cope with any delay caused by CITES regulations coming in from outside of the Country.
* Some Godin guitars are made in the USA, then travel across the border to Canada for completion and dispatch. This means that CITES certification has to be produced to get it from American to Canada - and then Canada to UK!
Communication regarding Godin back orders has never been an easy affair hence why we created this page... https://rguitars.co.uk/pages/godin-back-orders
* The UK distributor has already begun the process of importing stock so that by the time you or I need it, we will not need to wait for the guitars to arrive in from Canada. This is the best case scenario and will leave orders unaffected and will in fact arrive quicker than normal.
* If the guitar your ordered is not in stock in the UK but in stock at Canada (I carry a stock list so can let you know) and has no rosewood in its build, then we are looking at 7-14 days to get the guitar to me.
* If the guitar your ordered is not in stock in the UK but in stock at Canada (I carry a stock list so can let you know) and has rosewood in its build, then we are looking at 2-3 weeks to get the guitar to me (Guitar has to be certified by CITES to enter the UK!)
* If the guitar your ordered is not in stock in the UK but in stock in USA (I carry a stock list so can let you know) and has rosewood in its build, then we are looking at 5-6 weeks to get the guitar from USA to Canada and then Canada to me (Guitar has to be certified by CITES TWICE in the process!)
If your guitar is out of stock then of course you need to refer to this page first https://rguitars.co.uk/pages/godin-back-orders
The bottom line is CITES have brought in regulations for all the right reasons and as humans who have decimated the planet its time we all put our guitars into perspective. Rosewood is now rightly being scrutinized to ensure it doesn't become extinct and brands who have been using illegal means to source the rosewood will be brought to justice. Manufacturers will also now consider the need to use rosewood and use it where only absolutely essential. All this is a good thing.
Godin as a manufactuer have alway been extremely eco friendly (they were one of the first to move away using from ebony on fretboards and have been sourcing managed, locally grown wood for as long as I can remember).
Please support Godin and be patient over your order. It is very dfficult, nigh on impossible for us to provide accurate, fly on the wall overview of each order and this is naturally causing concern amongst our many customers.
Rest assured, if you have been assured your guitar is in stock, it is in the system, it will be on its way and please be patient and you will be rewarded with a wonderful guitar.